National Read a Book Day | Childhood Books & Books to Read in Bed

Sunday 6 September 2015

 

As today is National Read a Book Day, I thought I would celebrate by reminiscing on some of my favourite childhood books. These are books that I grew up loving and staying up past my bedtime to continue reading. Some of these books were read more than once (and are still read now!) and one is a book that I always attempted to read but could never finish. And I still haven't finished it to this day. (It's on my list!)

The books I can remember most from my childhood are:
  1. Books by Jacqueline Wilson 
  2. Sabrina the Teenage Witch (series) 
  3. Goosebumps (Series) 
  4. The Wind in the Willows
  5. Disney's Aladdin (Illustrated Classic Series)
  6. Peter Pan (Illustrated Classic Series)
  7. Harry Potter (Series)
  8. A Series of Unfortunate Events 
  9. Stargirl
The collage features covers that I remember with the exception of The Wind in the Willows which I couldn't find. Speaking of which, the book that I've never been able to complete... The Wind in the Willows. I think I had a standard paperback edition as well as a fancy illustrated hardback but I just couldn't do it. I loved the physical books as well so it's a shame. I'd definitely like to complete it one day.

There's something about all of these books that's really comforting and I would happily read them all again now. I think it's books that are comforting that are really great books to read in bed. Books that you can read wrapped in blankets, read on lazy Sundays, in winter, at Christmas. My favourite comfort read for such occasions is still the same as it was when I was younger: Harry Potter. I'm already planning my winter reread!

What books can you remember from your childhood? I'd especially love to know if you grew up in the 90s like I did as I have a feeling I've missed loads! Do you have a favourite comfort or bedtime book? 



This post was inspired by Casper who provide a great sleep with one perfect mattress. Casper are helping to spread the word about Read a Book Day by spreading the joy of reading at bedtime. Join in the conversation!

2 comments:

  1. Harry Potter, Pongwiffy, Michael Morpurgo (although I'm still reading his books!), Jacqueline Wilson but to be honest I just read whatever I was given!

    TheDonkeyInvasion - A Bookish Blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you know I haven't read anything by Michael Morpurgo! I really need to change that. I pretty much read anything I was given too, I just loved books!

      Delete

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS